Public Safety Committee
To establish and maintain an ongoing dialogue between community stakeholders, local law enforcement, fire department personnel, and elected leaders to foster a safe living and working environment for the community. The Committee will also work to identify, monitor and address various neighborhood public safety concerns related to crime, community policing and emergency services.
Committee Chair - Diane Valencia
Committee Vice Chair - Tom Weissbarth (Stakeholder)
Meeting Date / Time
Bonnie Bernard (Stakeholder), Kathy Grubert (SNC Director)
2nd Thursday of the month at 6:30 PM
Position Papers / Community Impact Statements
- December 11, 2017 - Community Impact Statement / Pacoima Wash, safety - Support for the implentation of safety measures around the Pacoima Wash
- December 11, 2017 - Community Impact Statement / LAFD OVB Office Space - Supporting cost effective solutions to allow co-locating of LAFD OVB staff.
- February 1, 2018 - Position letter on fire risks / Homeless Encampments - Request for homeless encampment inspections and enforcements to be cross-jurisdictional in certain high-risk areas of Sylmar:
- February 1, 2018 - Position Letter on fire risks / Vehicle Dwelling - Request to eliminate Vehicle Dwelling in certain high-risk areas of Sylmar and provide regular street sweeping/sanitation services in all areas where vehicle dwelling is allowed by LAMC 85.02
- February 8, 2018 - Committee Recommendation to Board / Draft Motel Conversion Ordiance - Recommendation to oppose as drafted, without a list of suggested revisions to the ordinance being included, which address general public safety and quality of life issues.
- February 23, 2018 - Community Impact Statement / Nuisance Motels - In support of exploring the feasibility of a regulation program for monitoring crime and other safety issues at motels.
- March 22, 2018 - Community Impact Statement / Illegal Fireworks - Support for the establishment of an Illegal Fireworks Task Force
- March 22, 2018 - Community Impact Statement / Creek and La Tuna Wildfires - In support of expediting the permitting process and granting fee waivers related to the reconstruction of homes and other buildings for individuals who are victims of the La Tuna and Creek wildfires
- March 26, 2018 - CD7 Letter / LAFD Resources for Sylmar - Letter to Councilwoman Rodriguez along with contents of a binder detailing SNC's history on this issue since 2015
- July 26, 2018 - Community Impact Statement / Illegal Fireworks - In support of a Task Force and enhanced enforcement strategies
- July 26, 2018 - Community Impact Statement / Illegal Street Racing - Supporting combatting illegal street racing / review of current ordinances
- LAPD Crime Stats - 19A1 (Giron) - Nov. 12, 2017 to Mar. 3, 2018
- LAPD Crime Stats - 19A7 (Crawford) - Nov. 12, 2017 to Mar. 3, 2018
Meetings (Agendas, Minutes, Documents)
→ View Calendar
If you would like to be notified of our meetings and receive agendas via email, click here and sign up by checking the Sylmar NC box.